New Project!

Earlier this week, I was talking with a friend at work, and the conversation drifted towards a pricing application he had written several years ago. He had sold licenses to a few customers, but he wasn't actively trying to find more. He had been thinking about writing a new web-based UI to replace the aging desktop UI, and trying to find more customers. I offered to take a shot at building a UI, and he agreed.

This project has a few twists that'll make it a challenge. Currently, it uses PowerBuilder for the UI, Java for the engine, and Microsoft SQL Server for the database. There will be minimal interaction between the front end and the engine, but I’ll need to do some research on deploying Java and Ruby together.

Today was spend getting familiar with the current application and the data model. First, I set up SQL Server and the UI pieces, and imported a test database. Then, I spent a while putting together a printable database diagram that I can use as a reference.

I’m really excited to be working on a refresh of a product that has a good sales history. It's going to be an adventure, for sure. I'll keep this updated.


Sat 15 Jun